The Society is presently working on the restoration of the Chaffey-Isle House, a sister house built by George Chaffey Jr. for his mother and sister in 1884. With the assistance of the City of Rancho Cucamonga and CalTrans the house was moved to Etiwanda Avenue in 2003.
The Etiwanda Historical Society is a non-profit, public benefit corporation, filing its Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State of California on May 4, 1983. A seven-member board, and a general membership govern the Etiwanda Historical Society.
The Norton-Fisher House
This home is located across the street from the Chaffey-Garcia House. Currently, it houses a children's counseling service.
The acquisition of land, the relocation and protection of the Chaffey-Garcia House was accomplished in 1984. Next, the restoration of the house took many years and was dedicated in July 1994. After that, the reconstruction of the Chaffey Barn took place and was also finished in 1994. Our Curator, Marsha Banks handles the ongoing creation of a museum of local history within the Chaffey-Garcia House and Barn. To date it is rich with many Chaffey Family treasures and local artifacts.
The Etiwanda Historical Society was created to preserve, restore and display the Chaffey-Garcia House / Museum as well as other buildings and property associated with the history of Etiwanda and the general promotion of Etiwanda's sense of history.
The first task undertaken by the Society was saving the Chaffey-Garcia House from a developer by negotiating with the developer to move the house. This task was accomplished in 1982.